Thursday, July 18, 2013

KCW day 4...too many irons in the fire!

My KCW started off in a terrible fashion!  First I probably didn't have time to join in this week, but really missed not doing it in the spring so I decided to sign up regardless!  I have been meaning to sew a couple more outfits for Carter all summer and thought that KCW would help me do it!  And it has, but it's been less that pleasant.  I decided to recycle tees to make the first shirt.  Which is good...except I haven't sewn recently where I needed to worry about saving pre-made hems and messed up cutting not once but twice. Good thing I had extra shirts!  I do like preserving existing hems because it does same time but not when you mis-cut!!  I also sewed the back of the shirt backwards so them hem is switch around, luckily you don't notice it.  I mean really...sometimes I wonder what else could go wrong!


The pattern for the tee was from the Ottobre autumn 2012 issue.  The pattern has long sleeves so I used another tee of his to decide where to cut for the short sleeve.  It was an easy pattern just 3 pieces.  I have another one to share later this week once I get the shorts made to go with it.



Speaking of shorts I used the same free pattern from Caila Made that I used with these cat shorts to make these lovely orange gingham ones.  I did lengthen the pattern by an inch in hopes he can wear them next summer too. And I raised the rise of the waist a bit too since I thought my first pair was a bit low rise for me.  I added back pockets to since I like that addition to basic shorts.


We will be celebrating Carter's second birthday this weekend and my house is a mess and I've got a cake to make so hopefully I can get my other outfit for him done.  I also have an Anywhere dress cut out that I would like to get finished too!  Summer seems to be flying by with kid activities and lots of pool time (especially this week with all our heat!)  I am looking forward to sewing more once school starts back up!


Oh...one other very fun note!  I ran into Vanessa from V and Co on Tuesday at JoAnn's in town!  I follow her blog and love her latest fabric line.  Of course I went right up and introduced myself and she was of course very lovely and nice!  It was a fun treat, especially as I was just coming from spending an hour in a half at the DMV renewing my drivers license!   Until next time, happy sewing!











4 comments:

  1. Seriously lady, both of these pieces are great! They look really clean and polished (i'll get there someday! fingers crossed) ... plus I'm loving the top you made yourself. I just started making my own clothing. I can't wait to look further back! Thanks for leaving me a comment, i started following you!

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It takes time and practice...when I look at what I sewed a year ago and especially two I was much less clean/finished! I am following you now too! :)

      Delete
  2. Cute again! And it looks like your are getting the hang of your new lens, the pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I am getting much better with it I think! We'll miss you guys this weekend for Carter's party!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, I love to hear what you have to say! :)