Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Washi Tunic

I am pretty sure every other blogger out there has already sewn a Washi tunic or dress, but I finally sewed one right before Christmas and thought I'd share it.  First off the main reason I waited so long was that I was concerned about sewing a shirt.  (Yes, this is my first one.)  I'm not exactly small chested and I was worried about having to do a bust adjustment.  

Then I saw Caila's post about her dress and thought I might be able to blend two sizes like she did.  By the way when writing this I see her post goes back to last summer! Yikes where does the time go!  
Okay back to the tunic, so I blended the L and XL sizes.  This worked out pretty well.  I think my biggest mistake was adding an inch to the bottom of the bodice to help with a larger bust, I got this idea off the washi dress flickr pool.  Lets just say I won't do that again.  My one other adjustment I'll make with the next one is to try taking a bit of fabric out of the front skirt.  For me it is a bit full and makes me feel a bit maternityish.  


The fabric is just something I liked from Hancock fabrics that was pretty inexpensive since I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  That's also why I choose a tunic, less fabric also means less expensive. :)   I did though buy muslin and make up a bodice before sewing with the "good" fabric.  I do really recommend this, especially if you are like me and don't have much (okay any) experience sewing for yourself.


 
Since it is winter I've been wearing this mostly with a black sweater.  I really want to try this again as a dress, and did want to try it with long sleeves.  But at the rate I'm going maybe I should just hope to make a dress in time for Easter! I loved all the traffic yesterday from the Train to Crazy and her Social Media Friends gathering.  I'm excited to have some new followers!  Thanks for being here!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like it turned out great! And I like the fabric :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, I love to hear what you have to say! :)